Does it matter whether a local tobacco retailer licensing law uses the term “license” or “permit”?

No. The terms are interchangeable. In general, both words mean a document indicating that a person has been granted the right to do something. In your community, it is likely that both “licenses” and “permits” are issued for various activities. For example, a community may require a “license” to operate any business and an additional “permit” to operate a particular kind of business, such as a massage parlor. Therefore, to be consistent with your other local laws, it may make more sense to use one term over the other. Check with your city attorney or county counsel for more information.

Learn more about tobacco retailer licensing on our TRL Licensing page.