ChangeLab Solutions is a dynamic, growing organization. The Operations Manager plays a crucial role in continually improving the internal operations and infrastructure of our workplace. Reporting to the Chief of Staff, the Operations Manager is charged with both high-level operational planning and management of day-to-day functions, providing operational support to our team and keeping us organized and productive as we grow. This is a pivotal position in making ChangeLab Solutions a great place to work, where individual staff feel supported in building health equity across the nation.
About ChangeLab Solutions
Since its founding in 1996, ChangeLab Solutions has played a major role in transforming public health practice through its dynamic interdisciplinary approach to policy, systems, and environmental change. ChangeLab Solutions promotes an “equity first” approach with a focus on structural inequalities—such as racial injustice and economic dislocation—that drive poor health in communities across the nation.
Based in Oakland, California, ChangeLab Solutions has an operating budget of nearly $10 million and is led by a national board of directors. Its multidisciplinary staff of nearly 60 specializes in law, public health, land use planning, housing, transportation, education, parks, economics, government finance, and more.
The successful candidate will embody our organization’s core values:
- Collaboration: We create strong working partnerships internally and externally.
- Authenticity: We support bringing one’s whole self to work.
- Excellence: We are passionate about producing high-quality work to advance our shared mission.
- Innovation: We drive both practical and visionary law and policy solutions to public health problems.
- Equity: We believe in a shared vision of health for all.
ChangeLab Solutions has a strong commitment to building a staff that is rich with cultural, social, and intellectual diversity. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths and experiences in this area.
Operations (Estimated 40%)
- Oversee logistics and planning for an upcoming office move
- Oversee facilities, including appearance, functionality, and safety of our office
- Supervise Network Administrator; oversee information technology management and operations (local and virtual), including help desk support and document management
- Develop and maintain operational guidelines and procedures for the organization, with the goal of reducing inefficiencies and re-invention while not adding unnecessary bureaucracy
- Handle commercial insurance renewals
Management (Estimated 35%)
- Manage, recruit, hire, train, and retain an administrative team of 4-7 staff members
- Coordinate and delegate the support of our administrative team for our staff at large
- Ensure a high level of customer service in support of the operational needs of our evolving and increasingly complex organization
- Serve as backup for administrative team members
Human Resources (Estimated 25%)
Note: The human resources responsibilities of this position will shift over time with the hire of a Director of Human Resources, allowing the Operations Manager more time to focus on operations.
- Handle open enrollments and renewals for benefits packages
- Ensure that HR policies and employee handbook are updated in compliance with prevailing laws and in the spirit of facilitating a great place to work
- Collaborate on efforts to promote a positive employee experience for ChangeLab Solutions staff, proactively using HR processes and systems to ensure an engaging, collaborative, and inclusive place to work
- Collaborate on efforts to carry out duties related to recruitment, employment, compensation, benefits, training, and employee relations
Required Education, Experience, and Skills
- 5-7 years of progressive office experience in operations and administrative support
- Prior success in managing administrative or operations personnel
- Ability to communicate clearly and directly, both verbally and in writing
- Excellent judgment, including an impeccable ability to maintain confidentiality
- Excellent organizational skills, with keen attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong computer skills and the capacity to quickly master new software systems
- Patience and diplomacy, with a problem-solving and customer service–oriented approach
- A high degree of flexibility and a can-do attitude with a talent for handling multiple, often shifting priorities and tasks in a fast-paced setting
Preferred Attributes (Not Required)
- Prior success in a similar role at a startup or nonprofit organization
- Proficiency with Salesforce or similar database platforms
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat
- Experience and confidence in providing basic IT troubleshooting
- Experience in using expense reporting software
- Experience with providing technical support for webinars
- Familiarity with commercial insurance policies
Compensation, Benefits, and Perks
- Full-time, exempt position; starting salary range of $65,000 - $75,000 per year
- Rich benefit plans, including generous PTO; 10 holidays with one-week December closure; health insurance (medical, dental, and vision, premiums paid 100% for employee, 50% for dependents); life and long-term disability insurance; 403(b) with 5% employer contribution; $100/month public transit subsidy; flexible spending accounts; and professional development funds
- Office 2 blocks from 19th Street BART in uptown Oakland
How to Apply
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include Operations Manager in the subject line of the email.
The position remains open until filled. No phone calls, please.