ChangeLab Solutions seeks Legal Fellows for a one-year term, to support our dynamic team of planners, policy analysts, attorneys, and public health experts who develop innovative solutions to critical public health challenges.
About ChangeLab Solutions
ChangeLab Solutions creates innovative laws and policies to ensure everyday health for all, whether that’s providing access to affordable, healthy food and beverages, creating safe opportunities for physical activity, or ensuring the freedom to enjoy smokefree air and clean water. Our solutions address all aspects of a just, vital and thriving community, like food, housing, child care, schools, transportation, public safety, jobs, and the environment.
ChangeLab Solutions is a national nonprofit, based in Oakland, California. For more information about how we create healthier communities for all through better laws and policies, see www.changelabsolutions.org.
Legal Fellows will work across a range of policy areas including healthy eating, active living, healthy housing, sustainable communities, and tobacco control, and will gain experience in a wide range of issues that impact the communities and institutions in which we live, work, play, and learn. Fellows will also have opportunities to participate in staff professional development.
The 2018 Legal Fellow position will start during Summer or Fall of 2018.
Duties & Responsibilities
Under the direction of staff attorneys, policy analysts, and urban planners, the work of Legal Fellows will include one or more of the following tasks:
- Research and writing on a variety of cutting-edge public health legal and policy issues;
- Assisting program staff with providing technical assistance to advocates in the field;
- Developing written products, including model legislation, easy-to-read fact sheets, technical assistance responses, and other resources for ChangeLab Solutions’ audience;
- Contributing to peer-reviewed journal articles;
- Partnering with program staff to expand areas of programmatic focus;
- Cite checking;
- Attending meetings or other events with program staff; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- JD and licensed to practice (or awaiting bar results) in any state.
- If already licensed, must be a member of a state bar in good standing.
- Strong research and writing skills, significant cite-checking experience, and excellent professional judgment.
- Well organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to make complex legal doctrines accessible to a lay audience.
- Ability to multi-task.
- A demonstrated interest in one or more of the following: public health law, municipal law, land use law, public finance, health equity, tobacco control, redevelopment law, housing law, constitutional law, environmental law, climate change, transportation policy, food systems.
In addition, a successful candidate will embody the organization’s core values.
- Collaboration: We create strong working partnerships internally and externally.
- Authenticity: We support bringing one’s whole self to work.
- Excellence: We are passionate about producing high-quality work to advance our shared mission.
- Innovation: We drive both practical and visionary law and policy solutions to public health problems.
- Equity: We believe in a shared vision of health for all.
ChangeLab Solutions has a strong commitment to building a staff that is rich with cultural, social, and intellectual diversity. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths and experiences in this area.
This is a full-time, yearlong position. Salary is $47,500-$51,000 per year, commensurate with experience and depending on whether the candidate has passed the bar exam. For yearlong appointments, ChangeLab Solutions offers a generous benefits package including PTO (paid time off), medical, dental, vision, and long-term disability insurance; life insurance; tax shelter annuity; payment of bar dues in one state; and a flexible benefit plan.
How to apply
To apply for the Legal Fellow position, please email all required information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “2018 Legal Fellow” in the subject line. Deadline for applying is December 31, 2017.
The following are required to be considered for the Legal Fellow position. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Resume and cover letter
- Writing sample - Please provide one writing sample in a relevant substantive area, up to 10 pages (excerpts are fine).
- References – Please provide contact information (name, organization, email address, and phone number) for three references.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE