The Director of Human Resources (HR) leads our ongoing efforts to make ChangeLab Solutions a great place to work. The Director is a member of the Senior Management Team, reporting to the Chief of Staff, and oversees all aspects of the day-to-day and strategic management of the HR function for our organization. The Director manages recruitment, retention, and talent management, oversees HR functions and systems, champions diversity and equity issues, and supports supervisors in handling employee relations. Director of HR is a new role at ChangeLab Solutions, offering an exciting opportunity to shape the HR Department.
The successful candidate will have strong relationship-building skills and a natural capacity to build trust within a diverse staff. They should be able to maintain a strategic and high-level perspective of the organization and functional objectives but also have the desire and ability to provide hands-on management of HR operations, assessing areas that need improvement or growth and ensuring that teams have the right tools and leadership to accomplish strategic and individual goals efficiently and effectively. They will be required to leverage their HR experience and expertise to develop HR strategies and processes that support our organization’s overall business objectives, including organizational design, change management, employee relations, talent acquisition and retention strategies, employee development, succession planning, leadership & team development and communications.
About ChangeLab Solutions
ChangeLab Solutions creates innovative laws and policies to ensure everyday health for all, whether that’s providing access to affordable, healthy food and beverages, creating safe opportunities for physical activity, or ensuring the freedom to enjoy smokefree air and clean water. Our solutions address all aspects of a just, vital, and thriving community, like food, housing, child care, schools, transportation, public safety, jobs, and the environment.
The successful candidate will embody our organization’s core values:
- Collaboration: We create strong working partnerships internally and externally.
- Authenticity: We support bringing one’s whole self to work.
- Excellence: We are passionate about producing high-quality work to advance our shared mission.
- Innovation: We drive both practical and visionary law and policy solutions to public health problems.
- Equity: We believe in a shared vision of health for all.
ChangeLab Solutions has a strong commitment to building a staff that is rich with cultural, social, and intellectual diversity. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths and experiences in this area.
As a member of the Senior Management Team, serve as a key voice in implementing organizational priorities and vision.
HR Operations (30%)
Manage and oversee all HR initiatives, systems, and functions:
- Lead an HR department that smoothly handles benefits, compensation, onboarding and offboarding workflows, employment policies, HR data management, EEO compliance, and leaves of absence; collaborate with finance team to ensure payroll is properly handled
- Supervise HR team and oversee HR budget; build department capacity to bring outsourced benefits and payroll in-house
- Handle risk management issues; ensure compliance with HR legislation
- Prioritize issues of equity, diversity, and inclusion throughout the employee life cycle
Retention and Talent Management (30%)
Ensure that ChangeLab Solutions is a great place to work!
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, guide leadership in cultivating a positive workplace culture
- Partner with other organizational leaders to develop strategies for retention, promotion, succession, and compensation; support development of clear job descriptions; lead compensation benchmarking efforts; develop and roll out transparent promotion and compensation guidelines
- Ensure that the performance review process is a productive, efficient, and useful tool, supporting alignment with team goals and organization-wide priorities
- Coach managers in handling employee relations issues; serve as a sounding board for employees and managers
- Lead professional development initiatives, including manager training, new employee orientation, development of career paths, and inclusion and diversity efforts
Ensure that open positions are filled promptly:
- Develop and implement creative and innovative sourcing strategies and techniques, to build a pipeline of qualified talent
- Shape the workflow for recruiting employees, consultants, fellows, and interns, ensuring that hiring managers are supported throughout the recruiting process, from job description creation through acceptance of job offer. The Director of HR will run the hiring committees for some recruiting efforts and, in other cases, will oversee other HR staff—either internal or external partners—to provide that support.
- Maintain diversity and inclusion as a top priority, working to build a pool of diverse, qualified applicants for all open positions
Other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, and Skills
- At least 8 years’ experience in senior HR leadership roles, preferably in more than one nonprofit setting
- Bachelor’s degree; equivalent work experience may substitute for formal degree
- Familiarity with HR field, including best practices in dealing with compliance and regulatory issues, change management, employee relations, and performance management; SPHR or SHRM-SCP preferred
- Superb written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with—and enthusiasm for—recruiting and talent management
- Experience with compensation benchmarking and data analysis preferred, to support organization in establishing salary ranges, career planning framework, and promotion paths
- Experience in leading equity, diversity, and inclusion efforts
- Project management skills, to lead HR initiatives and recruiting projects
- Strong computer skills, including MS Office, and the capacity to learn and master new systems
Required Personal Attributes
- Excellent people skills, with ability to build trust with staff at all levels and handle confidential matters with discretion
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to our mission
- Flexibility; ability to work in a complex, fast-moving collaborative environment, driving toward clarity and solutions
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems
- Capacity to juggle competing priorities and deadlines; organized and efficient
Compensation, Benefits, and Perks
- Full-time, exempt position; salary range of $95,000-$105,000 per year
- Great benefits!
- Health insurance: medical, dental, and vision coverage; ChangeLab Solutions contributes 100% for employee and 50% for dependent premiums
- Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
- 403(b) plan with 5% employer contribution
- Commuter benefits, including $100 public transit subsidy
- Flexible spending accounts (pretax health care and dependent care)
- Funds for training and professional development
- Generous paid time off package, starting at roughly 4.5 weeks PTO annually, plus 10 holidays and weeklong closure in December
- Office location in the heart of Uptown Oakland
- Fiscally stable organization
- Work with a talented group of professionals who are committed to a shared mission
How to Apply
To apply for the Director of HR position, please email all required information to firstname.lastname@example.org; please include Director of HR in the subject line of the email.
The following items are required for a complete application packet: cover letter, resume, and a relevant work sample. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications will be considered as they are submitted; the position remains open until filled.
No phone calls, please.