ChangeLab Solutions is seeking an entrepreneurial and ambitious Director of Individual Giving to spearhead our individual giving program. This position offers an exciting opportunity for a motivated fundraising professional looking to make their mark by building an individual giving program at a dynamic, mission-driven organization.
About ChangeLab Solutions
ChangeLab Solutions is a nonprofit organization that creates innovative laws and policies to ensure everyday health for all, whether that’s providing access to affordable, healthy food and beverages, creating safe opportunities for physical activity, or ensuring the freedom to enjoy smokefree air and clean water. Our solutions address all aspects of a just, vital, and thriving community, like food, housing, child care, schools, transportation, public safety, jobs, and the environment.
For more information about how we create healthier communities for all through better laws and policies, see www.changelabsolutions.org.
ChangeLab Solutions was founded just over twenty years ago to support the historic California tobacco control movement. Over the past 20 years, this work led to a 25% drop in tobacco-related deaths and more than $134 billion in health care cost savings.
Today, our team of professionals in law, public health, municipal planning, communications, and legal research continues to drive the creation and implementation of legal and policy tools to catalyze environmental, social, and economic conditions that produce good health.
Our leading-edge thinking, multidisciplinary approach, and commitment to health equity now define the core of modern public health practice. We have worked across all 50 states in rural, urban, and suburban communities, and our ever-growing list of funders and partners includes many esteemed public agencies, foundations, academic institutions, community-based organizations, and private entities.
This success enables us to make key strategic investments in infrastructure and staffing to tackle the next wave of innovative answers to today’s toughest public health challenges. We are excited to bring on a dynamic development professional for a new position: Director of Individual Giving.
The Director of Individual Giving will be the visionary, strategist, and leader for ChangeLab Solutions’ individual giving program. The director will benefit from being able to mobilize a well-respected, fiscally stable organization with a national reputation and an impressive track record of impact. They will develop, implement, and evaluate strategies to expand and diversify our donor base. The Director of Individual Giving will personally identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors to work with ChangeLab Solutions’ staff and board of directors to build a culture of philanthropy.
The successful candidate will embody our organization’s core values:
- Collaboration: We create strong working partnerships internally and externally.
- Authenticity: We support bringing one’s whole self to work.
- Excellence: We are passionate about producing high-quality work to advance our shared mission.
- Innovation: We drive both practical and visionary law and policy solutions to public health problems.
- Equity: We believe in a shared vision of health for all.
ChangeLab Solutions has a strong commitment to building a staff that is rich with cultural, social, and intellectual diversity. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths and experiences in this area.
Fundraising Strategy, Action, and Operations
- Develop, implement, and evaluate a strategic vision and associated strategies for the individual donor program
- Be a visible spokesperson and advocate for ChangeLab Solutions by owning all aspects of the giving cycle, including innovative outreach, identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors. Support the CEO and board of directors in participating in these efforts.
- Partner with the CEO and Executive Leadership Team on development-related aspects of organizational strategy and priority projects, including setting fiscal goals for raising unrestricted funds
- Assess opportunities and develop, implement, and evaluate strategies for growing unrestricted funding from sources outside of traditional foundations and public funding, such as the private sector and cy pres awards
- Oversee development operations: gift acknowledgments, integrity and quality of data, and reporting
Organizational Development and Collaboration
- Partner with the CEO to build the capacity of board members and support them in fund development efforts
- Partner with the Director of Communications to meld development and communications goals and strategies and develop compelling content about our work
Required Education, Experience, and Skills
- At least seven years of progressively responsible fund development experience; including experience in leading and growing an individual donor program and personally cultivating and soliciting donors
- Knowledge about best practices and demonstrated experience in self-directed design and implementation of development strategy, including coordinating with consultants and peers to achieve desired outcomes and engaging with a nonprofit board of directors
- Strong oral, visual, and written communication skills
- Available for occasional evening and weekend work and some travel as needed
Required Personal Attributes
- Ability to initiate and enjoy direct communication with donors and potential donors, including personal solicitation
- Passion for and fundraising background in public health or public policy
- Inspiring leader and demonstrated team player (playing both leadership and execution roles) with a customer service orientation and strong interpersonal skills
- Creative self-starter with the ability to excel in an entrepreneurial, dynamic environment and work proactively with efficiency, flexibility, creativity, and good humor
Desired Skills and Attributes
- Knowledge of the individual major donor market in Northern California, the San Francisco Bay Area, and Silicon Valley specifically
- Experience in using a CRM database like Salsa
- Experience in public health, government, or health care sectors
- Experience in working with planning, public health, public policy, or legal professionals
- Relevant advanced degree
Compensation, Benefits, and Perks
- Work with a group of professionals who are committed to a shared mission
- Fiscally stable organization
- Office location in the heart of Uptown Oakland
- Generous paid time off package and funds for training and professional development
- Great benefits! Medical, dental, vision, and long-term disability insurance; life insurance; 403(b) with 5% employer contribution; commuter benefits; and a flexible benefit plan
- Full-time position; salary range $115,000 to $125,000 per year
How to Apply
To apply for the Director of Individual Giving position, please email all required information to firstname.lastname@example.org; please include Director of Individual Giving in the subject line of the email.
The following items are required for a complete application packet: cover letter, resume, and a relevant writing sample.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications will be considered as they are submitted; the position remains open until filled.
No phone calls, please.