Are you eager to inspire others to adopt public health policies that support low-income communities and communities of color across the country? ChangeLab Solutions is looking for a writer who is passionate about social justice and persuasive communications. The Digital Content Writer is a new position for a candidate with a minimum of 2 years’ experience in creating mission-focused promotional material and managing social media in support of a nonprofit organization. You will support our interdisciplinary team in translating complex policy solutions that advance health, equity, and sustainability into accessible and compelling written content.
We serve a wide variety of audiences (including policymakers, public health practitioners, staff from governmental agencies, advocates for healthy communities, and city and county attorneys); the Digital Content Writer will keep the voice of ChangeLab Solutions fresh and engaging for these audiences.
About ChangeLab Solutions
ChangeLab Solutions creates innovative laws and policies to ensure everyday health for all, whether that’s providing access to affordable, healthy food and beverages, creating safe opportunities for physical activity, or ensuring the freedom to enjoy smokefree air and clean water. Our solutions address all aspects of a just, vital, and thriving community, like food, housing, child care, schools, transportation, public safety, jobs, and the environment.
The successful candidate will embody our organization’s core values:
- Collaboration: We create strong working partnerships internally and externally.
- Authenticity: We support bringing one’s whole self to work.
- Excellence: We are passionate about producing high-quality work to advance our shared mission.
- Innovation: We drive both practical and visionary law and policy solutions to public health problems.
- Equity: We believe in a shared vision of health for all.
ChangeLab Solutions has a strong commitment to building a staff that is rich with cultural, social, and intellectual diversity. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths and experiences in this area.
Reporting to the Senior Production Communications Manager, the Digital Content Writer will have responsibilities in the following areas, with the potential to focus their work on a subset of them, based on interests and skills:
- Write website copy to promote and explain publications on a wide range of policy topics
- Write promotional and news items for our quarterly newsletter and email outreach, to advance our organizational mission, define our brand, and grow our audience
- Write or edit presentations and video scripts
- Work with program staff (staff with legal, planning, policy, or public health backgrounds) on writing projects such as blogs, social media campaigns, etc.
- Work with ChangeLab Solutions’ Copywriter & Editor to balance workload and meet deadlines
- Draft content for fundraising campaigns
Social Media (30%)
- Develop engaging social media campaigns to increase our audience
- Write social media posts for Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn to promote our work
- Manage social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, and Medium), including pulling reports on reach and reporting on activity from key partners
- Train staff on social media as needed
- Develop and write success stories, testimonials, and case studies, working with program staff or external partners
- Conduct interviews as needed
Other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, and Skills
The Digital Content Writer will be an efficient, creative writer with excellent storytelling instincts, savvy in social media and web platforms. Candidates must meet all of these minimum requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in mass communication, journalism, English, marketing, public health, public policy, urban studies, or other related field. Work experience equivalent to one of these degrees may be substituted with explanation of the equivalency in the cover letter.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as a writer in journalism, marketing, or fundraising
- Experience with managing social media platforms, increasing audience engagement, and interpreting web and social media analytics
- Ability to collaborate to create high-quality and engaging material
- Demonstrated skill in making technical content accessible and engaging
- Experience in translating technical writing into compelling posts and stories for social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Medium
- Strong understanding of brand management and how to develop an organizational voice
- Demonstrated skill in discerning the right stories and projects to advance mission and engage appropriately with target audiences
- Track record of managing multiple projects that includes establishing priorities, managing billable hours, and meeting deadlines
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel
Required Personal Attributes
- Attention to detail is a must!
- Proven ability to work proactively, with efficiency, flexibility, and good humor
- Ability to work collaboratively as a member of the communications team as well as with a wide range of other staff members
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback
Desired Skills and Personal Attributes
Top candidates will have some of these characteristics:
- Experience in nonprofit, government, public health, or health care sectors
- Experience in working with planning, public health, public policy, or legal professionals
- Experience in writing fundraising and development materials
- Experience in writing scripts for presentations and developing storyboards
- Media relations experience
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, especially InDesign
- Ability to edit and mark up PDFs, using Adobe Acrobat Pro DC
- Experience in using a CMS like WordPress or Drupal
- Knowledge of basic HTML tags
- Experience with adhering to style guides (AMA, AP, MLA, Chicago, etc.)
Compensation, Benefits, and Perks
- Full-time, non-exempt position, hourly pay of $24 - $31 ($50,000 - $65,000 annual equivalent)
- Great benefits!
- Health insurance: medical, dental, and vision coverage; ChangeLab Solutions contributes 100% for employee and 50% for dependent premiums
- Life insurance and long-term disability insurance
- 403(b) plan with 5% employer contribution
- Commuter benefits, including $100 public transit subsidy
- Flexible spending accounts (pretax health care and dependent care)
- Funds for training and professional development
- Generous paid time off package, starting at roughly 4.5 weeks PTO annually, plus 10 holidays and weeklong closure in December
- Office location in the heart of Uptown Oakland
- Fiscally stable organization
- Work with a talented group of professionals who are committed to a shared mission
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please email all required information to firstname.lastname@example.org; please include Digital Content Writer in the subject line of the email.
The following items are required for a complete application packet: cover letter, resume, and a relevant work sample. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications will be considered as they are submitted; the position remains open until filled.
No phone calls, please.