ChangeLab Solutions is seeking applications from qualified candidates for a Development Manager. The person in this position shepherds our business development efforts from concept to completion in collaboration with our executive, program, communications, and finance staff. The successful candidate will be passionate about growing our financial resources to achieve our mission; thrive in a collaborative, fast-paced environment; and have a knack for creating and implementing tools that keep everyone organized and on track.
About ChangeLab Solutions:
ChangeLab Solutions creates innovative laws and policies to ensure everyday health for all, whether that’s providing access to affordable, healthy food and beverages, creating safe opportunities for physical activity, or ensuring the freedom to enjoy smokefree air and clean water. Our solutions address all aspects of a just, vital, and thriving community, like food, housing, child care, schools, transportation, public safety, jobs, and the environment.
For more information about how we create healthier communities for all through better laws and policies, see www.changelabsolutions.org.
The Development Manager will be a key member of the ChangeLab Solutions team who works closely with executive, program, communications, and finance staff across an entrepreneurial organization to secure funding for ChangeLab Solutions across a diverse mix of funding sources, including public grants and contracts, philanthropic grants, cy pres awards, and individual giving. S/he will manage the organization's fund development systems and track progress toward achieving the organization’s annual and long-term development goals.
The position provides an exciting combination of responsibilities for a motivated person who is interested in supporting the mission of ChangeLab Solutions and working in a dynamic learning organization. Strong interpersonal skills, great writing, good judgment, flexibility, initiative, collaboration, and a focus on detail and timeliness will be essential.
The Development Manager holds the following primary responsibilities:
- Relationship Building: Develop and cultivate relationships with institutional (foundation, government, academic, and private sector) funders and individual donors.
- Solicitation: Develop grant proposals and contract bids for government, philanthropic, and private sector funders. The Development Manager plays a key role in the project management process, serving as the entry point for developing grant proposals and bids, and ensuring that all proposals and bids meet the internal criteria for submission. Depending on the circumstance, the Development Manager’s role might range from full proposal development to facilitating a proposal response team.
- Fundraising: Develop and execute fundraising campaigns, including email and mail appeals, special outreach, and events.
- Tracking and Reporting: Track, manage, and contribute to grant reports. Manage the implementation of our CRM systems to track funding opportunities, funded projects, donor management, and fundraising efforts. Provide regular reports on the status of fund development efforts.
- Collaboration: Contribute to efforts to blend communications, program, and development efforts to raise the organization’s profile, secure funding, and achieve our mission. This may include developing outreach materials, implementing strategies to engage and build the capacity of program staff to take part in development efforts, and improving internal development and project management systems.
Required Skills and Attributes
- At least 3 years' nonprofit fundraising or other relevant business development experience; strong grant writing and project management skills
- Quick learner with excellent written and oral communication skills
- Work experience in community health, public policy, economic development, sustainability, or a related field desirable, but not essential
- Team player with demonstrated collaborative leadership skills; detail-oriented, highly organized, and self-motivated
- Does his/her best work in an entrepreneurial environment
In addition, a successful candidate will embody the organization’s core values:
- Collaboration: We create strong working partnerships internally and externally.
- Authenticity: We support bringing one’s whole self to work.
- Excellence: We are passionate about producing high-quality work to advance our shared mission.
- Innovation: We drive both practical and visionary law and policy solutions to public health problems.
- Equity: We believe in a shared vision of health for all.
ChangeLab Solutions has a strong commitment to building a staff that is rich with cultural, social, and intellectual diversity. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths and experiences in this area.
This is a full-time position with a generous benefits package, including paid time off; medical, dental, vision, and long-term disability insurance; life insurance; tax-sheltered annuity; and a flexible benefit plan. Salary range is $67,000 to $77,000 per year.
How to apply
To apply for the Development Manager position, please email all required information to firstname.lastname@example.org; please include "Development Manager" in the subject line of the email. The following items are required for a complete application packet: cover letter, resume, and a relevant writing sample. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications will be considered as they are submitted; the position remains open until filled.
No phone calls, please.