Reporting to the Senior Staff Accountant, the Accountant I contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the accounting and finance team in accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger entries, audit and tax preparation, recordkeeping, financial reporting and forecasting, internal controls, and other areas as needed.
About ChangeLab Solutions
ChangeLab Solutions creates innovative laws and policies to ensure everyday health for all, whether that’s providing access to affordable, healthy food and beverages, creating safe opportunities for physical activity, or ensuring the freedom to enjoy smokefree air and clean water. Our solutions address all aspects of a just, vital, and thriving community, like food, housing, child care, schools, transportation, public safety, jobs, and the environment.
The successful candidate will embody our organization’s core values:
- Collaboration: We create strong working partnerships internally and externally.
- Authenticity: We support bringing one’s whole self to work.
- Excellence: We are passionate about producing high-quality work to advance our shared mission.
- Innovation: We drive both practical and visionary law and policy solutions to public health problems.
- Equity: We believe in a shared vision of health for all.
ChangeLab Solutions has a strong commitment to building a staff that is rich with cultural, social, and intellectual diversity. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths and experiences in this area.
- Accounts payable transactions and vendor maintenance
- Accounts receivable transactions and customer maintenance, including collections
- General ledger entries and adjustments
- Coordinate employee expense reports, advise administrative staff on general ledger coding, and maintain online database for expense reporting
- Collect and prepare documents for the annual audit and for other reviews as needed
- Prepare monthly and ad hoc financial reports for projects
- Assist with payroll processing and tracking
- Assist with organizational financial forecasting
- Serve as backup for other finance and project management duties
Other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, and Skills
- AA in accounting, finance, or business with a minimum of five years of relevant work experience, or a BS with three years of experience
- Strong computer skills and the capacity to learn and master new systems
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook
Required Personal Attributes
- Genuine enthusiasm for accounting and finance
- Enjoyment of working with spreadsheets and numbers
- Proactive self-starter
- Eager to be trained in new areas and subjects as needed
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities
- Excellent attention to detail
- Friendly and able to work well on a team
- Ability to communicate via phone and email
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift and carry 20 pounds
Preferred Attributes (Not Required)
Experience in working or volunteering in a nonprofit setting
Compensation, Benefits, and Perks
- Full-time, non-exempt position; hourly pay of $27 - $30 ($58,000 - $63,000 annual equivalent)
- Strong benefits package, including PTO starting at 4.5 weeks/year plus 10 holidays and one-week December closure; health insurance (medical, dental, and vision premiums paid 100% for employee, 50% for dependents); life and long-term disability insurance; 403(b) with 5% employer contribution; $100/month public transit subsidy; flexible spending accounts; and professional development funds
- Office location in the heart of Uptown Oakland
- Fiscally stable organization
- Work with a talented group of professionals who are committed to a shared mission
How to Apply
To apply for the Accountant I position, please email all required information to email@example.com; please include Accountant I in the subject line of the email.
The following items are required for a complete application packet: cover letter and resume. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applications will be considered as they are submitted; the position remains open until filled.
No phone calls, please.